How Can I Get a Reviewer for my Book?
There are a number of ways and means for an author/writer to obtain a reviewer for his book. The ideas listed here give an overview of book review essentials and where to find an actual book reviewer.
- Select an appropriate reviewer for your book. This is one of the most important steps in the book review process. A writer should research the types of books the reviewer is familiar with reviewing, and then select the reviewer on that basis.
- Gather and complete the essentials before submitting a book for review. This process usually includes completing a PDF of the book along with the covers, or utilizing JPG pictures of the covers; ordering enough actual print books to send to reviewers who request them; initiating a press release to launch an announcement about the book; writing a cover letter that gives a short introduction concerning you and the book; and including pictures of the book and the author.
- Question the reviewers. Reviewers have requirements, and the author needs to adhere to them. Some request a copy of the book and others ask for a query letter (letter which sells your book idea for review). Check before submitting for a review of an e-book as many reviewers do not provide this service.
- Send the book. In any kind of inquiry to the reviewer, do offer to send both a PDF and print copy of the book.
- Follow up. It is inappropriate to badger or harass the reviewer about reviewing your book, who is most probably doing it gratis, or for a nominal fee. If you have received no reply after a few weeks, call or email to see if the reviewer still plans to review the book.
- Thank the reviewer. It is customary to thank the reviewer as it shows that you appreciate the time and effort taken to bring your book to the attention of more people.
There are a number of ways to locate a book reviewer, and they include the following options:
Online book bloggers who review books for free. Many write well and write helpful reviews. Book Blogs is a good site and has a huge number of bloggers who complete book reviews.
Online sites provide book review services for free or for a fee through additional services. ReadersViews.com is one such site that offers services such as listing the book for viewing, reviewing it through a number of reviewers, posting it on different online sites and providing maximum publicity for the book. Many of these sites have strict guidelines for review submittal, so read the stipulations before submitting your book. Goodreads is another site that offers paid review services. goodreads.com/about/contact us
Online writer’s forums and community sites like Absolute Write and an individual’s site-Nathan Bransford perform book reviews.
The following websites offer review services in some capacity and are worth looking into for review of your book. Some of them include:
- Step-by-Step Self Publishing – top source for finding online reviewers. It is considered to be one of the best places to find reviewers online.
- Midwest Book Review – another excellent source for self-publishing and review information
- Indie Reader- authors are invited to submit their books for review
- Self-Publishing Review- reviewers can post actual reviews here, and site members can post to the site as well
- The Independent Book Publishers Association – is a good source for review of print books. info@IBPA-online.org
Many erroneously believe that they must wait until their book is published before garnering reviews, but nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, most publishers look for early reviews so that they can be included on the back cover. Authors who are savvy know to prepare small press kit, media kit, or review copy to submit to various reviews around the nation, often as early as 3-4 months prior to publication of the book.
Book reviews are an effective way to get the word out about a new book, and an author can find a wealth of information on actual reviewers through a number of sources. A book review (and the book reviewer as well) is just one more way to launch a book and bring it to the attention of book lovers and readers everywhere.